General information and resources for consumers and investors regarding virtual currency, cryptocurrency, and digital assets.
The content on this page provides general consumer information and resources. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There are many other resources available from other third-parties that may also serve your needs.
Earlier Versions: May 15, 2014 and March 11, 2014
DFI is revising its guidance, which was issued approximately nine years ago. Although the virtual currency and digital asset space has matured, many of the same risks remain. This guidance is meant to combine information previously issued by DFI and guidance issued by the Federal Trade Commission1 and the North American Securities Administrators Association2 . For purposes of this guidance, references to “virtual currency” is synonymous with “cryptocurrency.”
- Virtual Currency, Cryptocurrency, and Digital Assets Primer
Basics about virtual currency and digital assets, including the potential regulation by the Washington State Department of Financial Institutions.
- Consumer Alerts
Cryptocurrency related consumer alerts from DFI.
- List of Companies Licensed Under the Uniform Money Services Act for Virtual Currency Activities in Washington State
This list is being provided for information purposes only. The Department of Financial Institutions does not endorse or recommend any person, product, or institution.
- FinTech Related Enforcement Actions
A non-exhaustive list of enforcement actions initiated by the agency.
- Video: About Initial Coin Offerings
Information from the North American Securities Administrators Association about initial coin offerings.
- Risks to Consumers Posed by Virtual Currencies
Information from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau about the risks of virtual currencies.
- Informed Investor Advisory: Virtual Currency
Information from the North American Securities Administrators Association discussing the risks associated with investing in virtual currencies.
- Tax Information from the Washington Department of Revenue
Interim Statement Regarding Bitcoin: Payments, Mining, and Investment Income.
- Tax Information from the IRS
Information from the IRS for taxpayers transacting in virtual currency.
- En Español
- 가상화폐 구매, 투자 또는 거래의 위험
- Риски, связанные с покупкой, инвестированием или торговлей виртуальными валютами
- Khataraha Iibsiga, Maal gashiga, ama Ku Ganacsiga Lacagaha Oonlaynka ah
- Ang Mga Panganib ng Pagbili, Pamumuhunan sa, o Pag-trade ng Mga Virtual na Pera
- Ризики купівлі, інвестування та торгівлі віртуальними валютами
- Những Rủi Ro Mua, Đầu Tư, hoặc Kinh Doanh Tiền Ảo
2 Be Cautious of the Crypto Investment Craze, North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) (Apr. 2018) ; NASAA Reveals Top Investor Threats for 2022, North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) (Jan. 10, 2022)