How to submit a complaint against a Washington bank.

How Do I Submit A Complaint?

  1. Determine if the Washington State Division of Banks regulates the financial institution you have a complaint against.

    View a complete list of financial institutions regulated by the Washington State Division of Banks. If the financial institution is not on the list, please view our frequently asked questions below.

  2. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the financial institution. This may involve directly contacting senior bank management or the bank’s customer service representative for assistance.
  3. Finally, if your dispute cannot be resolved, you may file a complaint with the Division of Banks using one of three methods below:

    File a complaint online.

    File a complaint via mail or fax

    Contact the Division of Banks by calling (360) 902-8704 or 1-877-RING DFI (1-877-746-4334).

Frequently Asked Questions

See our frequently asked questions page for answers to questions about filing a complaint and other bank related questions.