HOMEOWNERSHIP.WA.GOV - Assistance from the State of Washington

Foreclosure Assistance

Below you will find information about federal and state mortgage assistance programs.

Washington Homeownership Counseling

Homeownership and foreclosure Counseling and assistance is available to Washington residents. Call the Washington Homeownership Information hotline to connect with a counselor
1-877-894-HOME (4663).

Washington Foreclosure Mediation Program

Washington homeowners facing foreclosure have the opportunity to be referred by a housing counselor or attorney to mediation with their lender to review available options to keep their home.
Washington Foreclosure Mediation Program

Making Home Affordable

Through President Obama's Making Home Affordable program, Washington families whose loans are held by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac may be eligible to refinance or receive a loan modification. into a more affordable mortgage. Making Home Affordable

Short Sale or Deed-In-Lieu of Foreclosure

The Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program (HAFA) provides incentives in connection with a short sale or a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure (DIL) used to avoid foreclosure on a loan eligible for modification under the Obama Administration's loan modification program (HAMP). Homeowners interested in taking advantage of the alternatives to foreclosure under the HAFA program need to talk to their lender. Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program

Partial Claim Program for FHA Loan Customers

If you have an FHA loan in foreclosure you may be eligible for a partial claim program.
HUD - Partial Claim Program

Property Tax Deferral Program

The Washington Department of Revenue’s Tax Deferral Program helps homeowners with limited income by paying 50 percent of property taxes and/or special assessments on behalf of the owner. For more information and a list of requirements visit the Department of Revenue's website or call
(360) 570-5900, or call your local county assessor’s office.

Foreclosure Prevention Unit

The Foreclosure Prevention Unit helps low to moderate-income Washington homeowners who face foreclosure of their primary place of residence. The Washington State Bar Association Foreclosure Prevention Unit represent homeowners in loan modification negotiation, mediation under the Foreclosure Fairness Act and litigation to protect and enforce their rights under state and federal law. Low and moderate-income homeowners can also contact the statewide civil legal aid program at 1-800-606-4819 or visit www.nwjustice.org/get-legal-help.

HUD Certified Housing Counseling Agencies

HUD certified housing counseling agencies are available to assist you and discuss your options. Find a counselor near you. Washington HUD Certified Housing Counseling Agencies

Washington Housing Finance Commission Approved Counselors

The Washington Housing Finance Commission maintains a list of approved counselors who can help you with your mortgage situation. Counselors approved List of Washington Housing Finance Commission approved counselors. List of Approved Counselors.