HOMEOWNERSHIP.WA.GOV - Assistance from the State of Washington


If you begin to fall behind in your monthly mortgage payments, your lender may have the right to foreclose on your home.

Learning what to do and knowing who to contact when facing foreclosure may help you save your home.

What is Foreclosure?

Foreclosure is the legal process used to seize your property if you fail to keep up your payments. In some states, foreclosure involves a court proceeding ("judicial foreclosure"), while in others, foreclosure occurs by creditor action alone ("non-judicial foreclosure").

In Washington, creditors have the option of using either the judicial foreclosure process (for mortgages or deeds of trust) or the non-judicial foreclosure process (for deeds of trust only).

Foreclosure Assistance Programs

If you are struggling to make monthly mortgage payments, there are several federal and state programs that may be able to assist you.

Foreclosure Assistance Programs

What To Do If You're Late On Payments

Learn about what to do if you're struggling to make mortgage payments.

What To Do If You're Late On Payments

Possible Alternatives to Foreclosure

There are several possible alternatives to foreclosure. Review your options.

Possible Alternatives to Foreclosure

Information For Renters

If you rent your home, and your home was sold at a foreclosure, a federal law requires the new owner to notify you at least 90 days before evicting you.

Columbia Legal Services - FAQs for Renters