How to submit a complaint against a Washington credit union.

How Do I Submit a Complaint?

  1. Determine that you are dealing with a Washington state-chartered credit union. The division regulates only Washington state-chartered credit unions. View a complete list of credit unions we regulate.
  2. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting an officer of the credit union. We have found that complaints can normally be resolved if the consumer contacts the credit union directly.
  3. If your dispute cannot be resolved, you may file a complaint with the Division of Credit Unions using one of four methods below:

    File a complaint online

    File a complaint via mail or fax

    For assistance filing a complaint, contact the Division of Credit Unions by calling 1-877-RING DFI (1-877-746-4334) or emailing

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have a complaint against a federally chartered credit union?

The 48 or so federally-chartered credit unions doing business in this state are regulated by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). You can usually identify federal credit unions by the word "Federal" in their name. The NCUA processes consumer complaints against federal credit unions. The regional office of the NCUA may be reached at 1230 W. Washington St., Suite 301, Tempe, AZ 85281 (602) 302-6000.

What if I have a complaint against a credit union chartered in another state?

If you have a complaint against a state-chartered credit union in another state, please direct your complaint to that state's regulator.

What if I have a complaint against a credit card company?

Complaints against credit card companies can be filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

What will the division do in response to my complaint?

Normally, the division's staff will ask the credit union to respond to you in writing within three weeks or 15 business days, with a copy to the division. The division may ask you or the credit union for additional information or documents.

Although the Division of Credit Unions processes all complaints involving the credit unions it regulates, it does not have the authority to resolve all types of problems. For example, we are unable to resolve contractual disputes, undocumented factual disputes between a member and a credit union, or disagreements about credit union policies and procedures. These matters are usually determined by credit union policy and are not addressed by state law or regulation. In many instances, however, by filing a complaint, a credit union may voluntarily work with you to resolve your situation. When appropriate we may incorporate your complaint into the next examination of the credit union or we may initiate an immediate investigation. If our investigation determines that the state Credit Union Act or an applicable regulation has been violated we will take appropriate corrective action with the credit union.

The Division of Credit Unions does not participate in the credit granting process in credit unions. The division does not have authority to arbitrate or mediate disputes or to pursue redress on your behalf. The division does not give legal advice to complainants or recommend attorneys. In general, the division will not accept a complaint if the complainant has engaged an attorney or if the dispute is in litigation.

Is my complaint public information and available to any member of the public who requests it?

Generally yes. The Washington Public Records Act (PRA), RCW 42.56, may require disclosure of a complaint after a file is closed. If you choose, you may keep your identifying information exempt from disclosure under the PRA by stating in your complaint that "I request that my information identifying me not be disclosed if requested pursuant to the Public Records Act" or by checking the relevant box on the complaint form. Please note that this exemption does not necessarily restrict the release of your identifying information pursuant to a court order, subpoena, or during litigation.