Washington State Division of Banks
The Division of Banks regulates Washington State-chartered commercial banks, stock savings banks, mutual savings banks, alien banks, savings and loan associations, and independent trust companies.
We charter new banks, business development corporations, trust companies, foreign banks, and savings and loan associations. Also, we authorize new branches and branch closures; and approve mergers and acquisitions. Learn more about the Division of Banks.
- Help and resources for Washington bank customers.
Lists of Who We Charter and Regulate (Find an Institution)
- Commercial Banks and Savings Institutions
- Trust Companies and Trust Departments
- Business Development Corporations, Small Business (7a) Lenders, & Agencies of Non-U.S. Banks
Division of Banks News
Below you will find what's new from the Division of Banks.
Letter to Banks Regarding Wildfires
DFI encourages banks to work with customers impacted by the wildfires.
DFI's Letter to Banks Regarding Wildfires (PDF)*
Director's Interpretive Statement: Use of the Terms “Banking,” “Bank,” and “Banker” by State-Chartered Credit Unions
The Director of the Department of Financial Institutions has issued an interpretive statement regarding the use of the terms "banking", "bank", and "banker" by state-chartered credit unions.
Interpretive Statement (PDF)*
- Letter to Banks Regarding Assisting SR530 Slide Victims
DFI encourages banks to work with customers affected by the SR-530 Mudslide.
DFI's SR-530 Mudslide Letter (PDF)*
- Letter to Banks - Microsoft Discontinues Windows XP Support
As you are undoubtedly aware, Microsoft is ending its support for the Windows XP operating system after April 8, 2014. This letter from the Division of Banks discusses what this means and steps banks should take to protect their computer systems.
Microsoft Windows XP Discontinuation Letter (PDF)*
- Guidance - BSA Expectations Regarding Marijuana-Related Businesses
On February 14, 2014, the Department of the Treasury, Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, issued Guidance FIN-2014-G001, “BSA Expectations Regarding Marijuana-Related Businesses.” Boards and management teams of our state-chartered financial institutions should carefully review this guidance and discuss it with legal counsel when considering whether and how to provide banking services to I-502 compliant entities and individuals and/or whether to accept I-502 tax proceeds for transmission to the Washington State Department of Revenue.
More Information: BSA Expectations Regarding Marijuana-Related Businesses
- Online Semi Annual Assessment System
The Division of Banks online semi annual assessment system is now available.
Online Semi Annual Assessment System
Trust Semi Annual Assessment
Letters and Resources
- Spotting Financial Exploitation: Training for Employees of Financial Institutions
- List of Washington Bank Closures - 2009-2013
- Governor Gregoire’s Letter In Support Of Community Banks (PDF)*
- FFIEC SAFE Act FAQs
- Box Upload Procedures (PDF)*
Help and Resources for Customers of Washington Banks
Deposit Insurance for Washington Bank Customers
Information about deposit insurance through the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). The standard insurance amount currently is $250,000 per depositor.
FAQs for Bank Business Loan Customers in Turbulent Times
Answers to frequently asked questions business loan customers may have about loans and credit lines.
File a Complaint
File a complaint against an institution regulated by the Division of Banks.
Help With My Bank
Helpwithmybank.gov helps you find answers to your National Banking questions.
The Division of Banks business hours are 8 am - 5 pm (PST), Monday - Friday.
Department of Financial Institutions
Division of Banks
PO Box 41200
Olympia, WA 98504-1200
Toll Free: (877) RING DFI (746-4334)
TDD: (360) 664-8126
Fax: (360) 704-6904
Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM PST (Monday - Friday)
* This document is a PDF file, and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. If you don't already have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you may download it for free from Adobe.