The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) is currently taking applications to charter a business development company (BDC).
What Is a BDC?
A BDC is a new financial institution charter that can be comprised of banks, thrifts, credit unions, venture capitalists, private entrepreneurs, and even government-sponsored entities (GSEs).
The purpose of a BDC is to lend or invest in small business, agriculture, community development and/or historical preservation throughout Washington State by:
- Making qualified loans.
- Investing in qualified projects.
- Facilitating direct participation loans by third party qualified loan participants.
The new approach encourages sustainability through flexibility and choice. You now have the option of participating as Founder (Promoter and/or Incorporator), Capital Equity Investor, Debt Financer, Lender, or Direct Co-Lender in Participation Loans Facilitated by a BDC. DFI believes that creative business plans may emerge that are market (need) driven.
What Are the Minimum Requirements?
Minimum requirements include:
- Corporation or LLC: A for-profit Washington State corporation or limited liability company with acceptable articles and bylaws.
- Incorporators: Five or more incorporators. Three incorporators must be federally insured depository institutions.
- Mission: Must be dedicated to lending and/or investment for small business, small agricultural, community development, and/or historic preservation.
- Business Plan: Must demonstrate a reasonable likelihood of safe and sound operation and ability to fulfill its stated goals, consistent with an approved mission.
- Management: Proposed management must demonstrate the qualifications to fulfill mission and business plan.
- Capitalization: Core capital must be consistent with the goals of the business plan. Minimum capital-to-asset ratio of 8%.
Guide to Business Development Companies
A free guide to chartering and operating business development companies is available.
How Can I Receive More Information?
If you or your group is interested in forming or participating in a BDC, or you would like more information on chartering and operating a BDC, please contact the DFI Division of Banks at (360) 902-8704 or via email email@example.com.
Pre-application meetings and outreach presentations may be arranged through the Division of Banks.