DFI provides grant funding to organizations providing financial education to Washington residents. To learn more, please sign up for our financial education grant notifications.
2020-21 Financial Education Grant Application Process
Thank you for your patience and understanding after the suspension of grant awards this past summer due to a dire economic forecast and budget process. After consideration of the impacts of the health and economic crisis on our Washington communities, we have decided to move forward with the grant process before the end of the current grant calendar year (June 30, 2021) – with a few modifications to our normal process.
- Supplemental information/budget update or new application are due Friday, Dec. 18, 2020.
- DFI will review applications through January 2021.
- Award announcements will be made in February 2021.
- Grants/Contracts will be put in place in March 2021.
- Program work may begin once the grants/contracts are signed and filed in March 2021.
- This grant period will provide the grants for an extended time period, ending June 30, 2022 rather than June 30, 2021.
- Our goal is to select programs emphasizing diversity, equity and inclusion in underserved/marginalized Washington communities – an integral part of our state’s Results Washington Goals.
- If you applied in January 2020, and you feel your initial application program meets our request for programs with an emphasis on DEI:
- If your application did not specifically denote how your program includes attention to DEI, please answer the updated application question 5: Please describe how the proposed program will fill/address diversity, equity and inclusion gaps/needs in Washington communities. (For example: How does your program address the racial wealth gap in Washington? How does your program provide financial tools, resources, education and/or support to marginalized communities? How does your program help Washington residents in underserved and/or marginalized communities attain financial security?)
- We ask that you submit an updated budget indicating the funds you would need to supplement support for your requested project/program from March 2021 until June 30, 2022.
- If you did not apply in January 2020, and feel your program meets our request for DEI focused programs, and would like to apply for funds please submit a new application (link below). Please download and read the grant program manual (linked below) prior to downloading and filling out the application.
- To submit your grant application you must upload your complete application and the organization’s most recent financial statement (if you have not already submitted this) to the DFI Box.com portal. To upload simply attach the required files (in a .pdf file format) to an email and send to 2020_Gr.email@example.com. Please note that DFI will not receive anything in the body of the email, we only receive the attachment, so please name your pdf files so they are easily identified by organization and type. For example: DFI-Application.pdf -or- DFI-Q5-Supplement.pdf -or- DFI-Financials.pdf
- If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact DFI’s Communications Director at CommunicationDir@dfi.wa.gov.
Forms and Information
- 2020-2021 Financial Education Grant Application
- Financial Education Grant Program Manual
- Grant Agreement Template
Sign Up for Financial Education Grant Notifications
Enter your email address to sign up to receive financial education grant notifications from DFI.