DFI has filed a CR-101 to create rules implementing the law (SB 6029, c 62, Laws of 2018). The rules will include, among other things: definitions and the addition of student education loan servicing and student education loan servicers to those activities and persons regulated under the Consumer Loan Act. Student education loan servicing will have a number of consumer protections and the agency will be able to monitor servicers’ activities.
- CR-101: filed 3/20/18 and published in WSR 18-07-095 on 4/4/2018
- CR-102: filed 7/18/18 and published in WSR on 8/10/2018
- Public Hearing: 8/21/18 from 10-11 am at DFI’s headquarters
- CR-103: filed 11/27/18 – rules effective 1/1/2019
- CR-103 language
These are the amended rules the agency adopted.
- CR-103 WSR 18-24-013
This document accompanied the filing of the adopted rules.
- Concise Explanatory Statement
The Concise Explanatory Statement summarizes all comments received during the rulemaking and the department’s response to the comments, and details changes made from the draft filed with the CR-102 to the final rules as adopted.
- Proposed Language with Additional Amendments
- August 21, 2018 Rulemaking Hearing (mp3)
- Proposed Language
- Senate Bill 6029
- Northwest Justice Project Comments dated November 21, 2018
- ECMC Comments dated November 16, 2018
- Kevin Coombs dated October 12, 2018
- Radius Global Solutions dated September 6, 2018
- Testimony of Winfield P. Crigler, Executive Director, Student Loan Servicing Alliance
- Student Loan Servicing Alliance Supplemental Comments dated August 20, 2018
- Student Loan Servicing Alliance dated August 7, 2018
- Jeff Joyce dated August 3, 2018
- Northstar Location Services dated July 31, 2018
- Kevin Coombs dated July 19, 2018
- Ryan Vos, Mandarich Law Group, LLP
Submitting Rulemaking Comments
Throughout the rulemaking you can provide comments in any of the following methods:
Contact: Sara Rietcheck
Division of Consumer Services
P.O. Box 41200
Olympia, WA 98504-1200
Phone: (360) 902-8793
By signing up for our GovDelivery service you will receive email containing information or links to information on DFI’s web site about industry newsletters, annual assessments, rulemaking documents including notices of comment periods and hearing dates, licensing information, interpretive and policy statements and other important industry information.
If you wish to receive paper copies of rulemaking documents you must contact Sara Rietcheck at 360-902-8793 and ask to be added to a paper copy mailing list.