Green Gate Services LLC Not Licensed In Washington

Date Posted: 
Monday, October 17, 2016

Originally Posted: 08/21/2014
Updated: 10/17/2016

The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) warns consumers to never give any nonpublic person information, such as social security number, credit card, or bank account information to any individual, website, or company without first verifying their identity and license status. Consumers can determine whether a financial services company or individual is properly licensed to conduct business in the State of Washington by using the “Verify a License” feature on the DFI’s website at

DFI has received complaints against Green Gate Services LLC (Green Gate). Consumers reported that they received loans from Green Gate and were charged excessive fees and interest.

It appears that Green Gate is operating as an unlicensed tribal loan company. Green Gate claims to be owned by the Big Lagoon Rancheria Band of Yurok & Tolowa Indians, a federally recognized Indian tribe.

Green Gate operates a website at [] and lists its contact information as:

Green Gate Services, LLC
600 “F” Street, Suite 3 #721
Arcata, CA 95521

If you have a complaint against Green Gate, you can mail it to its tribal regulator:

Big Lagoon Tribal Financial Services Regulatory Authority
PO Box 3060
Trinidad, CA 95570

Green Gate is not licensed by DFI nor registered to conduct business in Washington State by the Department of Licensing, the Department of Revenue, or the Secretary of State.

Important Information for Washington State Consumers

Washington State residents are informed that Washington State law provides in RCW 31.45.105(1)(d) and (3) that a “small loan” made by an unlicensed entity to a person physically located in Washington State is uncollectible and unenforceable in Washington State. A “small loan” is defined in RCW 31.45.073 and is a loan that does not exceed $700.

Washington State residents with loans exceeding $700 are informed that Washington State law provides in RCW 31.04.035 that fees or interest charged in the making of a nonresidential loan by an unlicensed lender must be refunded to the borrower.

Report Unlicensed Lending Activity or Fraud

Washington State residents only: If you suspect unlicensed activity by a payday lender or consumer loan company, please contact the Department at 1-877-RING-DFI (746-4334), or online at Even if your activity involves a loan over the internet, a license may still be required.

If you live in another state, go to this webpage to find the regulator in your home state.