Take Our 3 Question Survey
Note: We make changes based on responses.
Summer 2017 Newsletter
Small and Medium Business Cyber Security Workshop
In March of this year the Department partnered with the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) to provide a first of its kind Cyber Security Workshop for small and medium sized Washington businesses. This workshop focused on consumer services licensees. Thirty-four industry professionals attended the three hour in-person training that occurred in Renton, Washington. The content of the workshop was designed to be understandable by people who do not have technical backgrounds and covered the following topics:
- Understanding the assets (digital crown jewels) they have that others might want to steal
- Learning how to protect those assets without having to spend a lot of money or time
- Detecting when something has gone wrong
- Reacting quickly and appropriately to make the impact as small as possible, and creating a plan of action to remain operational when an incident occurs
- Learning what resources are needed to recover if a breach should occur
Feedback from participants indicates the event was a success with 100% of survey respondents stating they either agreed or strongly agreed that the presentation was helpful. Furthermore, 97% of respondents either agreed or strongly agreed that they plan to use the information gained from the presentation to enhance their information security / cyber security program. Thank you to those who attended our first Cyber Security Workshop for Small and Medium Businesses!
For tips on planning for better cybersecurity, see a complete discussion of the Five Step Framework from the FTC.
For additional resources, visit the Department’s Information Security Resources page.