HOMEOWNERSHIP.WA.GOV - Assistance from the State of Washington
Washington State Homeownership Information Talk To A Counselor
Call 1.877.894.HOME

Foreclosure Assistance Programs

Below you will find information about the federal and local assistance programs.

Try Working With Your Lender
Washington homeowners who are having trouble making their monthly mortgage payment should try to work with their lender to assess their ability to repay debt, and consider other options. Lookup your lender's contact information through the Hope Now Alliance website.

Are You A Mortgage Servicer?
Making Home Affordable has a website with forms, resources, and information specifically for servicers. Making Home Affordable website for Servicers.

Refinancing and Modification Programs

Through President Obama's Making Home Affordable program, Washington families whose loans are held by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac may be eligible to refinance into a more affordable mortgage.

To find out if your loan is held by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac owns your loan, contact Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac directly.

  • Refinancing Through Making Home Affordable (HARP)
    For Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans. If you are a homeowner who is current on your mortgage payments but unable to refinance to a lower interest rate because your home value has decreased, you may be able to refinance.
  • Loan Modification Through Making Home Affordable (HAMP)
    For Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans. If you can no longer afford to make your monthly loan payments, you may qualify for a loan modification to make your monthly mortgage payment more affordable. If you don’t qualify for HAMP most lenders have their own internal non-HAMP parameters for loan modifications.
  • Second Lien Modification Program (2MP)
    Many homeowners may be struggling to make their monthly mortgage payments because they have a second lien. The 2nd Lien Modification Program (2MP) offers homeowners a way to lower payments on their second mortgage when their first mortgage is modified under the Home Affordable Modification Program.

If your loan is not owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, contact your mortgage company to find out what options are available.

If you don't have the contact information for your mortgage company, review the information on your monthly mortgage statement or find a list of mortgage companies on the Hope Now Alliance website.

Short Sale or Deed-In-Lieu of Foreclosure

  • Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program (HAFA)
    HAFA provides incentives in connection with a short sale or a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure (DIL) used to avoid foreclosure on a loan eligible for modification under the Obama Administration's loan modification program (HAMP). Homeowners interested in taking advantage of the alternatives to foreclosure under the HAFA program need to talk to their lender.

Partial Claim Program for FHA Loan Customers

Counseling and Legal Assistance

  • Washington Homeownership Counseling
    Counseling and assistance is available to Washington residents. Call the Washington Homeownership Information hotline to connect with a counselor 1-877-894-HOME (4663).
  • Foreclosure Prevention Unit
    The Foreclosure Prevention Unit helps low to moderate-income Washington homeowners who face foreclosure of their primary place of residence. We represent homeowners in loan modification negotiation, mediation under the Foreclosure Fairness Act and litigation to protect and enforce their rights under state and federal law. Homeowners should call our toll-free number to be screened for program eligibility: 1(800) 606-4819
  • HUD Certified Housing Counseling Agencies
    HUD certified housing counseling agencies are available to assist you and discuss your options.
  • Washington State Housing Finance Commission Approved Counselors
    List of Washington Housing Finance Commission approved counselors.

Property Tax Deferral Program

  • Property Tax Deferral Program
    The Washington Department of Revenue’s Tax Deferral Program helps homeowners with limited income by paying 50 percent of property taxes and/or special assessments on behalf of the owner. For more information and a list of requirements visit the Department of Revenue's website or call (360) 570-5900, or call your local county assessor’s office.

Rescue Scams

Beware of foreclosure rescue scams. 
Rescue Scams
If you're selling your home without professional guidance, beware of buyers who try to rush you through the process. Unfortunately, there are people who may try to take advantage of your financial difficulty.

Learn more.
Foreclosure Help | Mediation Program | Events Calendar | Buying A Home | Refinancing | Avoiding Scams | Contact Us