Clearwater Lending LLC (Cash Fairy) Not Licensed In Washington

Date Posted: 
Monday, December 5, 2016

Updated: December 5, 2016
Originally posted: March 13, 2013

Another alert regarding Clearwater Lending and Cash Fairy was posted on September 23, 2013.
See: September 23, 2013 Alert.

The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) has received complaints from Washington consumers against Clearwater Lending, LLC d/b/a Cash Fairy (Cash Fairy). Consumers claimed that Cash Fairy was charging excessive fees and interest.

It appears that Cash Fairy is operating as an unlicensed tribal lender. Cash Fairy claims to be wholly owned by the Fort Belknap Indian Community, a federally recognized Indian Tribe.

Cash Fairy operates a website at [] and lists its contact information as:

Clearwater Lending, LLC d/b/a Cash Fairy
PO Box 320
Hays, MT 59527

If you have a complaint against Cash Fairy, you can mail it to:
Clearwater Lending, LLC d/b/a Cash Fairy
Attn: Michael Fox
PO Box 320
Hays, MT 59527

Cash Fairy is not licensed by DFI and is not registered to conduct business in Washington State by the Department of Licensing or the Secretary of State.

DFI warns consumers to never give any nonpublic person information, such as social security number, credit card, or bank account information to any individual, website, or company without first verifying their identity and license status. Consumers can determine whether a financial services company or individual is properly licensed to conduct business in the State of Washington by using the “Verify a License” feature on the DFI’s website at

Important Information for Washington State Consumers

Washington State residents are informed that Washington State law provides in RCW 31.45.105(1)(d) and (3) that a “small loan” made by an unlicensed entity to a person physically located in Washington State is uncollectible and unenforceable in Washington State. A “small loan” is defined in RCW 31.45.073 and is a loan that does not exceed $700.

Washington State residents with loans exceeding $700 are informed that Washington State law provides in RCW 31.04.035 that fees or interest charged in the making of a nonresidential loan by an unlicensed lender must be refunded to the borrower.

Report Unlicensed Lending Activity or Fraud

Washington State residents only: If you suspect unlicensed activity by a payday lender or consumer loan company, please contact the Department at 1-877-RING-DFI (746-4334), or online at Even if your activity involves a loan over the internet, a license may still be required.

If you live in another state, go to this webpage to find the regulator in your home state.